October 12, 2016 – Seaside, California
- The new Veterans Cemetery is now open. Located at the former Fort Ord military installation, it is State owned and operated by the California Department of Veterans Affairs (Cal-Vet). Services for Veterans are the same whether a Veterans cemetery is designated a State or National cemetery.
- The opening represents the first segment of a multi-stage, multi-year Veterans Cemetery development and expansion program. This first segment is limited to placement of cremated remains in above-ground columbaria (concrete structures) only. For information on scheduling a burial, please click here for the CalVet application.
- In-ground/casket burials will not be available until completion of the next 28-acre segment of cemetery construction.
- The majority of funds for construction of Veteran cemeteries is from grants from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Expansion requires Cal-Vet to apply for a grant for the next segment of the Central Coast Veterans Cemetery.
- The State of California will not provide direct financial support for cemetery construction. Costs not covered by the VA grants must be raised by other groups and organizations.
- Costs not covered by the VA grant for expansion (the next 28 acres) are anticipated to be in the range of $2.5 to $3 million. Costs for a required Environmental Impact Report to review all phases of expansion are estimated between $500,000 and $1 million.
- The Central Coast Veterans Cemetery Foundation (CCVCF) is the only 501(c)3 public charity non-profit organization specifically formed to raise funds for establishment of a complete Veterans cemetery.
- Contributions to CCVCF for expansion of the Central Coast Veterans Cemetery will provide Veterans and their families options for both in-ground and cremation placement. To make a contribution, please click here, or mail your contribution to the CCVCF at PO Box 849, Marina, CA 93933.
Thank you for helping to make the initial segment of the Veterans Cemetery a reality. Please continue your support to expand the Cemetery’s placement capability and to honor and thank all Veterans for their service on behalf of each and every one of us.